2/6/13

DIE, KAIJU! Volume IV: THE KAIJU GRAVEYARD (Leaping Fox)

Well, I will be the first to admit, I thought the old Leaping Fox was deep in retirement, but not so! In fact, there will be two new volumes to this series, because of some very kind donations that I will go into in discussing Volume Five.
I ran across some photos from a Japanese magazine of a "graveyard" of discarded costumes behind Toho Studios, taken in 1993, and that's where the theme comes from. It staggers the mind that these items weren't all preserved or put in museums..!
Onto the material--besides compiling some Godzilla tracks that I've been collecting, and resuming our tour of Godzilla Videogame Themes that was begun in the previous volume, I thought it would be interesting to compile Toho's promotional singles that were released for various movies.  This really took off in 1971, but the "theme song" for what we call GODZILLA'S REVENGE was also released as a single, and since our American version doesn't contain it (instead it starts with some bizarre surf-rock music that you can find on the previous volume), I thought it should be included here.  Lots of these tracks have been included as bonus tracks on various soundtrack releases over the years, but never in one place as far as I can tell.  There's also a single for the 1971 re-release of the mighty GHIDRAH THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER, and with GODZILLA vs HEDORAH, things really take off, and we get singles almost through the rest of the classic series, with the exception being TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA.  I suspect the budget and interest just weren't there, but who knows.
Enjoy! For Volume Five, I thought it would be interesting to look at some of the music that was added, or in some cases substituted, to the scores of American versions of Godzilla's films.  Stay tuned!

LINK:  THE KAIJU GRAVEYARD

No comments: