6/5/09

The Hit Heard 'Round the World (US Army, 2-17-69)


Here we have a (I believe) short-lived radio series, presented by the US Army. The description on the cuesheet says "Top disc jockeys from all over the world playing and talking about the leading records on their local charts," and that in itself is a pretty neat idea, and from this little sample, we can see that it wasn't all a commercially-minded enterprise, as it would be today in this ever-shrinking world, where everybody buys and listens to the same thing (sarcasm here). Anyhow, I bought two of these at my local thrift store, and when I got home I discovered they were the same week of broadcasts, one being the "10 Minute Version" and the other being the "5 Minute Version," which is nothing but an edit of the longer version, playing only the "Hit of the Day," the third song from each show. Anyhow, the cuesheet above will give you all the info you need on each program. I thought it was a pretty neat find.



3 comments:

furrball said...

My god!! I REMEMBER that show. Fred Robbins hosted it. Matter of fact, I first heard Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich on that show ("Don Juan", presented by German DJ Hans Dieter-Frankenburg). Thanks for refueling the memory!

Ed Kelleher said...

I have a copy of this series with Kenny Everett and John Lennon interview a great addition to my collection

Peter B. Lewis said...

I was the editor/engineer of these shows! Lasted about 2.5 years. Can't believe I was working on a US Army recruiting project during VietNam war! One of the songs we played was from the DJ in Mexico City, "Sky Pilot" a very clever war protest song. Several DJ's did stuff like that and we let them through! The schedule was such that reviews often followed airdates! It was a blast editing all those great tunes from all over the world. Thanks for publishing the cue sheet!
I'll never forget the Kenny Everett Beatles interview - it was over an hour, had time with all 4 and we only had a few minutes of program to give it!. That was tough and I wish I'd kept the raw tapes! I know Kenny aired it all!