2/5/16

"What Is Wrong?" from HOW DO WE KNOW (1946)

I will often buy antique school books.  I find them hard to resist.  If I stumble on one old enough, or--especially if the artwork has that amazing style and color that just doesn't exist in printed material today--it's an insta-purchase.  Here is one that actually came from the storage building treasure-trove of my late uncle.  I'm not sure where he got it, but it has a grocery store-type price tag on it labeled "MEAT."  That sets the tone nicely for what is to follow.

The book, called HOW DO WE KNOW, is from 1946, and it is apparently a "science lite" type of gradeschool book. It's packed with paintings and text about going outside and observing things, playing, and that sort of stuff.  It's been on my shelf a couple of years, and the other day I decided to flip through it...and found this very interesting couple of pages.

This section is called "What Is Wrong?" and is exactly what it sounds like, but the artwork quickly becomes a study in surrealism. I think lots of these paintings would make a good album cover, or backgrounds for a really fun CD booklet.  Enjoy!


I don' t know about you, but that frog terrifies me.
I must confess I have stared at the final picture for quite a while...the best I can come up with is that the stork/crane has the wrong feet, but they ended on a weird note here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the stork/crane might actually have a turkey body with a crane head

Id0 said...

The frog creature looks like something from Jim Woodring. My guess would be that the crane has short legs.