9/13/21

Godzilla vs. The Thing Double Feature Ad Slick poster (American International, 1964)

 

When GODZILLA vs. THE THING was released in the United States in 1964, it was included in a double-feature (as several Godzilla films were) with VOYAGE TO THE END OF THE UNIVERSE (a U.S. dub of a slick Czechoslovakian space-opera film called IKARIE SB-1 from the year before*).  I was lucky enough to track down a dead-mint set of ad slicks for that double-feature, which came in the form of a large, poster-sized sheet measuring 21 by 27.5 inches. 

It's certainly too big to scan, so I did my best to get some decent photos.  You'll notice that at the top, there's a giant "SPECIAL SOCK COMBO ADS" headline...which at first struck me as VARIETY-type hyperbole ("boffo socko" and all that), but upon reflection, I think it's just a typo.  After all, the ads bear the title of "Double Shock Show," so that must be what was intended.

One of the ads is strangely upside-down, as well! 

Here is one of the small ads from the bottom of the sheet.  The stark artwork pairs very well with the EC Comics-type astronauts and flying saucers, and just makes for some sharp-looking ads.  These ads make me want to watch both of these films again...so, you could say they still do their job very well, all these years later.  


At the risk of repeating myself, nothing today holds a candle to this!

__________________________
*NOTE: I forgot to mention that you should see the original version of this amazing film, and not the U.S. dub discussed here, because the ending is completely changed to be as absurd as that of WOMEN OF THE PREHISTORIC PLANET.  So there's something to think about.

3 comments:

Id0 said...

These are great. I don't know if you knew already but there's a "Godzilla Mad Libs" coming out on Oct. 26, 2021.

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

I actually didn't! I wonder how that will work...in my opinion, lately Toho is getting awfully loose with the license.

Id0 said...

Yeah, I browse the monthly catalog/catalogue of upcoming releases (2 months in advance) for comics and types other pop culture merchandise and have noticed Toho go from being an strict, uptight adult to pretty loose and wild teenager. I couldn't put my finger on the reasoning as I've seen this happening with a lot of other known strict companies/corpoartions too. Which in my opinion hasn't anything to do with COVID.