11/6/12

Original Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots (Marx, 1960's)

I spent the past two nights cleaning and restoring a vintage, original "Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots" by Marx.  It was among my late uncle's items, and had been in a storage building for ten years.  Unfortunately, it wasn't even protected very well, it sat at the top of a box, uncovered, and had accumulated years of grime.  To my amazement, I discovered it was not only intact, but working, so I set out to restore it to its original luster!
 I've cleaned up a lot of old toys in my time, but this was one of the worst! When a can of compressed air wouldn't even budge the filth, I ended up using an old toothbrush, and innumerable paper towels and cotton swabs.  The photo above shows a "before and after" shot of the progress.

But the finished results were worth it! And, it looks pretty nice sitting on top of one of my bookcases!

4 comments:

Chris Sobieniak said...

Looking good!

Unknown said...

Now it can sit atop your shelf for the next 40 years collecting grime - har har har

Anonymous said...

What did u use for cleaner?

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

As I recall, I got a big bowl of water, and put a drop of dish soap in there and stirred it around. Then, I had another bowl of clean water for rinsing. It was slow going, but it worked. It's been 10 years and it still looks good.