1/18/13

Photo Miscellany Continued: Lego, Microscopic Photos, James Mason reads Browning LP

Here is another random sampling of things that piled up during the week:
Lego Minifigures Series 9, AT LAST! 60 packets of potential.
And here, also at last, are the newest 16 minifigs. That makes 144 in the series so far!
I don't know what my favorite is, but it's hard not to love "Chicken Suit Guy"!!
I also stumbled onto the new Batman set, but it seems there's a typo in the title! Poor Danes; don't worry, we will give you a break.  I can't spell ANY of your words...
Thusly, Aquaman arrives! Instead of reminding you of how useless Aquaman is, I will say this: Ironically, Lego has now completed the line-up for the first season of Super Friends!
I was looking at this version of the Godzilla handheld game on Ebay, and noticed something weird...
...um, okay, I think I see how that could...well, "medallions" are popular with kids these days of course...wait, they aren't at all...playground beatings are up, though...so the purpose of this is....wait, um, what, and why?
And, you know how I love Godzilla movie-poster-hyperbole.  Just read this text from the American half-sheet for "King of the Monsters" out loud, in your best John Carradine impression.  Go on.
As promised, 60x Iphone Microscope photos.  This is bathtub crank.  Not really; it's table salt.
And this is ground black pepper, which looks disgusting, like something you would clean out of a comb.
Sugar, which looks pretty much exactly like salt...
The Planet Jupiter.  Actually, it's the next closest thing: a barbecue potato chip.
Do you ever find a dead wolf spider on the carpet and take microscopic photos of him and...oh, you don't? Nevermind then.
I discovered this week I am beginning a library of photo responses to text messages, which is more convenient than typing.  This is for when I don't particularly like something...
And this is more fun than typing "dodged a bullet"...
This LP rather sucks.  It's not so much that, but it's going to be a let-down after hearing him read Jules Verne and H.G. Wells; this is more like the U.S. Tax Code.  You see, I used to be an English major in one of my educational careers, and I had to put up with things like this all the time.  Now I only read books with pictures, and lots of comics, so there you go.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ive enjoyed your blog for some time and it's nice to know that there are others out there that share a love for pop culture.

My wife has been on my case about my Lego obsession, that is until I showed her the chicken-suit guy. I think I won her over with that one.

Look forward to your next post.

sumdumguy in wisconsin

KL from NYC said...

I got this one in a thrift shop (when we still had them here). It still had the booklet inside, and I was really excited to get it home -- but I was disappointed in it, also.
Maybe this was a vanity project they let him do to pay him back for all the other work he'd done for them.

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

Anonymous - it just goes to show that there is Lego for every man, woman, and child on earth! Eventually one will strike the fancy of even the most disinterested of folks. Now that you have her hooked, find a set she might want to build, and reel her in!

KL - I agree. Plus, I thought the choices were a bit random. They could have picked some better poems. It would be like an album of Poe not including "The Raven" or something! (For the record, my favorite Browning poem is "The Laboratory," where a woman hires an apothecary or alchemist to mix up a poison so she can commit murder!)