9/7/20

SON OF GODZILLA 1" Type C TV Station Library Master Tape

 NOTE: LINK HAS BEEN TAKEN DOWN AGAIN, DUE TO SPACE CONSTRAINTS--STAY TUNED


I was lucky enough to acquire a 1" master tape from a former TV station library, and get it converted to DVD.  As the film was not released in theaters in the US, the tape contained the 1969 American TV version of the film, meaning the beloved Titra dub (not available on DVD)!  There are also some other differences from the Japanese version, including:  no brief opening scene with Godzilla, a unique title card, textless opening credits, and a unique ending card.

What I haven't done is compare this to one of the gray-area VHS releases from the 1980's and 90's (of which there are only a scant few; see my page on Godzilla VHS for info).  I'm assuming companies like Video Treasures used a tape like mine as a source, but I haven't yet confirmed it.  The 1" tapes used by TV stations contained more lines of resolution than VHS did, so hopefully, even if this copy is identical, it's an improvement.  

And, for a short while, it is available here: SON OF GODZILLA (TV Master Tape).  This is the VIDEO TS folder straight from the DVD conversion, so drop it into the burning software of your choice. This will not be left up as a permanent part of the blog, due to space, so grab it while you can.

(Inlay artwork for transparent case)

9 comments:

Id0 said...

Hey, thanks for this. I love the scratchy picture which reminds me of watching it on TV.

jrodkey said...

Thanks you very much for sharing this gem. The Showa Era is still my favorite of the Godzilla films and I have a soft spot for "Son of Godzilla". This is definitely an upgrade and a very pleasant addition to my collection.

The Box Monster said...

Amazing! Do you have any other tapes like this?

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

No--I really wish I did! I'm really glad it's being enjoyed!

Unknown said...

Hi! Thank you for this! I found this on eBay today: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-KCA-30-Betacam-Tape-Godzilla-Versus-Megalon/333639335061?hash=item4dae743c95:g:IFQAAOSwdD9e9MuH

It seems to be missing the first tape. Still, I would like to see it but unfortunately have no way of viewing it.

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

@Unknown: I saw that tape when it was first posted! It's very mysterious...and only the last 18 minutes? I have a lot of questions, and I too wish I could watch it...!

Unknown said...

Greetings! Just found this blog recently and I love it! Did some back-searching and couldn't believe you had this Son of Godzilla tape. I lost my old VHS of the original dub many years ago, and hate the newly-released 'International' dub. You wouldn't want to make this available agian, would you? I'd really love to see it. Thanks.

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

@Unknown (and everyone else who has asked):

Back up for a limited time, until November 1! Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Thank you SO MUCH! I hope every monster on Monster Island sends you a Christmas present. :)