11/6/14

OUR DINOSAUR FRIENDS For the Early Years (ATA, 1978)

Apparently, this is a pretty rare record.  There are crazy prices for this one on Amazon, Ebay, and Discogs right now, so who knows.  I can see this being a fond memory for someone who heard it in elementary school, and I'm sure it has never seen a CD release, which adds up to nostalgia-value.  (By the way, I added the FOR THE EARLY YEARS part because there was a second LP for INTERMEDIATE YEARS.)
I bought this mostly for the striking cover, and secondly because it was a children's record, which I figured might give it some entertainment value...and, let's face it, I planned on making fun of it.  However, it's really pretty good for what it is!  I mean, if you go in expecting the feel of a late-70's classroom.  
There are really two kinds of children's records.  There are the ones that fail in some spectacular way (and we have all seen these), either through:  lack of effort, too much effort, misrepresentation, underestimating the intelligence of the audience, or even just being abstractly inappropriate in some strange way.  And then there are the others, where, even if it's not your cup of tea, you have to admire the work and skill level that went into them.  This is one of the latter group.  I think my point here is that caring about what you are doing makes a huge difference.
I mean, just look at the photo on the back cover.  Comedy gold, right?  I mean, sometimes there is a thin line between elementary-level entertainers in flaired trousers and Nehru jackets and creepy ice-cream truck driving predators, right? (Clowns come to mind...)
Maybe I am protective of that elementary school-era from my own life, but I just couldn't do it.  Even with one side being instrumental--surely that must mean they were phoning it in?  No, because it was intended for teachers to use, allowing the students to sing the songs.
The songs are well-crafted, professionally backed, and are even educational.  Imagine how it would be done today! You would have an approved website that a teacher would have to sign into, where bored students would have to listen to somebody rapping about multiplication tables, over a MIDI backing track, or something.  We have become so hackneyed, and so afraid of offending each other, that we have lost the personality and feeling that was once inherent in much of our entertainment, especially children's entertainment...but without flying off onto a tangent, let's think back to the days where you had to ask permission to check out some clunky headphones--the ones with the overly-heavy, curly cord that wouldn't stretch--and for some enjoyable, solitary moments, you got to use the classroom (or library) turntable, and you had this wonderful, mysterious machine all to yourself.

Link:  OUR DINOSAUR FRIEND$

13 comments:

soylentlornegreen said...

Loving this! Thanks so much.

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

Good deal! You are welcome. I'm glad it's enjoyed!!

Edgar Baudelaire Lovecraft said...

The link is broken!! :(

Anonymous said...

The link has expired! Please post elsewhere if possible (preferrably both vocal and instrumentals)...

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

I had to do some digging in my archives, but I found the files, and they are reposted! Link is fixed; enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Hello! My parents owned ATA (American Teaching Aids). I was a little girl but I remember the my parents discussing this and and looking for the right people to do this. Art was a dedicated and talented professional. His recording studio was at his house. He had lots of lizards in his garden which I loved to watch.
-Holly Warren

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

Holly, thanks for sharing your great memories! I intend to go back and make a new rip of this album, since I have much a much better turntable now than when I first made these files. This album deserves it and I need to put it on my to-do list!

MWS said...

BRAVO! Thanks so much for reposting. The "Tyrannosaurus Rex" song is worth having the whole thing!

Anonymous said...

This was also on a cassette tape! It was played 100 times in our car during the 80's!

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

@Anonymous - That's awesome! It's so hard to find a good vinyl copy,I wonder if all the cassettes are worn out too! Probably!

Anonymous said...

My parents owned ATA (American Teaching Aids) and put a lot of care and effort into this. They were hard workers and very conscientious… they would never phone anything in. You wrote some great stuff about their efforts! They are both very old but alive. I’ll be sure to share your review with them. Thank you!

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

@Anonymous - Please thank them for their efforts! It must be wonderful to look back on creative work that so much effort and genuine care was put into and have it stand the test of time, AND have positively affected so many people! That is a true blessing!

jer1 said...

@anonymous that is cool to hear regarding Art Bardhun!

About 20 years ago my childhood friend and I went looking for those tapes and found them at the local library. I had them all digitized (the lyrics side) and I tried to figure out who owned the rights to them. I found an article about Art and contacted the reporter, and was able to speak to Art on the phone! He said it was ok by him if I shared them with others. I can try to post a permanent link here as well ...