7/17/13

Engrish of the Week: FRESHNCOOL Car Seat Cushion

There's not going to be a lengthy article this time--this is no AIRSOFT SPORT GUN, but it still has some entertaining moments anyhow. 
So why is Engirsh so hilarious? I think our American obsession with an "acceptable" item being a complete and perfectly-presented one is what makes sloppy Engrish so entertaining...at least, to me.  In the United States, we have this bizarre ideal that makes us look for discrepancies, and somehow, we even think we should be rewarded if we find them.  The best example of this is in the restaurant business.  Do you ever wonder why 50% of new restaurants don't succeed? Now, granted, if you find a human thumb in your chili, like a Wendy's customer did a few years ago, then you have a right to complain.  But now more than ever, I see people scanning the fine print and looking for loopholes, which somehow translates into not having to pay for items, or even lawsuits.
Of course, I originally promised this wouldn't be lengthy, so I will get back to the item at hand. In a nutshell, I recently changed vehicles, and I am having a great deal of trouble with the seats...mostly because it is 1,100 degrees (Celsius) outside.  I found this item on Amazon for $40, and so far it does what it claims to do, which is pull air in through a tiny fan, and re-route it through the seat cushion, which is much better than arriving at a business function with my entire back wet like I was in a water-balloon fight before I got there.  Now, that's not to say it won't break tomorrow, but while we are on the subject, and before I veer off yet again, here is the previously-mentioned Engrish for your temporary enjoyment.
The best part here is "hip heat problem," which I didn't know I even had.

Do NOT affect your driving!

Yes, it plugs into your "Cigar socket," which you didn't know you had.  My favorite moment here is the accidental use of the word COOK instead of COOL.

Hey, Daddy-O; my hip new carseat is COOL COOL COOL, man!


2 comments:

Chris Sobieniak said...

I suppose I would've called it "Fresh 'n' Cool" since I usually like it that way. You can say there's at least an effort in wanting to get a product like these out to everyone they could if they had it in another language (much in the way North American products might have French or Spanish descriptions/instructions included).

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

Yes, definitely some punctuation problems there--a couple of apostrophes make the title much clearer!
It's funny, as a child, I never, ever saw any kind of other languages on packaging but English, and somewhere along the way, companies figured out they could save some printing costs!