1/26/21

GODZILLA ATTACKS LOS ANGELES "Transforming Head Playset" Watch (Nelsonic, 1995)

 

Sometimes I look to see what the most-read posts are on this site, and it never fails that one or more of my articles on the Trendmasters "Transforming Head" Godzilla playsets from the 1990's are in the top ten.  These seven playsets are among the greatest of Trendmasters' Godzilla accomplishments. [There is a post spotlighting each one; just search "Micro Playset" and you'll find them--the first one is here!] Made during the heyday of "Micro Machines," I always thought Trendmasters outdid their competition with this line.  In fact, some of them are quite rare, and I've been amazed to watch the prices rise on Ebay over the last few years.  

What you may not have known was that there was one additional "transforming head" playset out there...and the bad news is, it's just about as rare as some of the later playsets.  It exists in the form of a digital wristwatch from the Nelsonic company, from 1995, bearing the title "Godzilla Attacks Los Angeles."


Now, before we go any farther, you'll notice that this is packaged to fit in with Trendmasters' then-current KING OF THE MONSTERS line.  Outside, you'll also notice that the Godzilla head is a scaled-down replica of the other playsets, that matches completely. Inside, it's actually a shrunken-down version of the "Mechagodzilla in Los Angeles" playset from Trendmasters' first wave [you can compare the full-size one in this post!], down to the Hollywood sign and the stripey camouflage on the storage tank! Because of all of these things, I have no doubt that Trendmasters did the actual manufacturing on the "toy" part of this watch for Nelsonic.  


This is, without a doubt, the tiniest Godzilla in my entire collection.  You can see that he sticks into a peg on the playset, but you can imagine that he would be easily lost (by the way, that's the actual digital watch screen, to the right of the little G)!

So there you have it; this little cousin is the unofficial 8th in the great series of Godzilla micro-playsets.  It's endearing, ingenious, and completely impractical, all at the same time.  They very rarely come up on Ebay, but if you're desperate to have one, there is a foreign-packaged version from Italy (with identical contents) that does pop up from time to time!

EDIT: Here are some opened images that I found in my archive (from an old Ebay auction):




23 comments:

Santa Mendieta said...

Hello ! I was wondering if you are willing to sell the Godzilla Attacks Los Angeles watch. My partner is in love with Godzilla and I have been having trouble finding it on the market. If you are willkng, please email me at mcamtat@yahoo.com thank you

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

Thank you for the offer, but I'm not interested in selling at this time. The way I found it was to save an Ebay search for "Godzilla watch" and look every day.
I can give you one tip that may help: the watch was also released in Italy and I have seen it come up in foreign packaging lots more than English, so you may try looking/searching with that information.

Unknown said...

how much you've paid for this awesome piece?

Unknown said...

How much did you pay for it??

Unknown said...

I need it

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

If I remember right, I paid about $135 for it! Remember to also search for the Italian version in foreign packaging (same watch of course)!

Unknown said...

Do you know where I can buy it

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

Not at the moment. The way I found it was to save an Ebay search for "Godzilla watch" and look every day. Eventually one turned up!

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

UPDATE Feb. 19, 2022: Okay, folks! Since this is one of my most-read posts, I just discovered one of the Italian-packaged versions is up on Ebay! I have no connection to the auction, just FYI. It's listed under the following title: "godzilla micro battle playset LA watch toho doom rare vintage toy monster Italy" Good luck!

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

UPDATE Feb 28, 2022: Somebody bought the Italian example, so I hope I helped with that. NOW, there is an even rarer, American, English example that has been added to Ebay. Go get 'em!

Anonymous said...

i realize this is a while after this was posted but does it have any godzilla sound effects?

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

@Anonymous - No, no sound effects. That would have made it even cooler though!

Anonymous said...

Hi, are you still looking for one please? If yes, I have one without packaging but %100 original , let me know please,if you are interested? Thanks

Davood shahrivar said...

Hi , there, I have one, do you know anyone interested please? It doesn't have packaging but in great condition, thanks

Davood shahrivar said...

Hi there,I have one of these,are you interested please? Let me know pls? Thanks

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

@Davood shahrivar: No, I don't happen to need one, but thank you! In the comments above, one person who wanted one left an email address, so you might try contacting them!

Anonymous said...

Really want one. If any of you have one for sell, I’ll gladly buy it!

Anonymous said...

Still available?

Anonymous said...

I am

Anonymous said...

Hello friend, I was hoping to buy 2 of your watches if you have that many, please let me know. You can go to my instagram Tyronexlacey

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

I don't know why this post generates so much confusion, but to be clear: NO WATCHES ARE FOR SALE here!

Anonymous said...

La vendez vous toujours ?, si oui pour combien ?

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

I will even answer you in French: no.