6/20/22

Godzilla AWESOME TASTE Dr. Pepper Promotional Baseball Cap (Sun San, c.1986)

 

Here is one of those items that just appeared; never seen one before, never knew it existed, but I pounced upon it as quickly as possible.  


What's interesting is that the art matches the "Awesome Taste" design which was offered on a mail-away T-shirt in 1986, which you can see below (more views of the can, and shirt, found in this post from 2015):

Interestingly, the Dr. Pepper skateboard had similar art, but said "MONSTROUS TASTE."

So, was the hat a mail-away offer too? I choose to believe no; certainly no evidence has turned up so far.  Most likely it was an employee premium, or even handed out to customers.  I'm still shocked that it exists!

I'm lucky that the hat is 100% unused, because nothing's more unpleasant than a used baseball cap...and I totally would've settled for a used one, of course.  Come to think of it, if I'd had this as a kid, I would've worn it until it fell apart.

Scoring this item has also taught me something else; they actually make protectors for baseball caps!  There are two kinds:  one is an acrylic box about the side of a shoebox (those are the most expensive, and are also bulky), and the other is a two-piece clear plastic holder in the shape of a cap that snaps together.  It's kind of like that protector that you put a carded action figure in.  The plastic is the same thickness, and it snaps together in the same way.  Here is a photo from Amazon:

I have no doubt that there are still further Dr. Pepper Godzilla items to be found.  A few years ago I missed out on a set of book covers for school books.  There were 10 sold, and I just know somebody out there that won them would sell me two of them...get in touch if you are feeling generous!

The one that got away. If this photo rings a bell and you have one or two stashed somewhere, gimme a shout!


No comments: