10/13/14

1994 Godzilla ("Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla") NECA, 2014

Thank goodness for Amazon, because I don't think this figure was ever coming to a Toys [backwards R] Us near me in my lifetime.
This is the second figure in what has now become an official series by the action figure powerhouse that is NECA.  Let's take a closer look at whether it's awesome or not:
Like the first NECA Godzilla (the Legendary Godzilla), the figure's sculpt captures the look of the source design well.  Starting with the 1994 "MogeGoji" suit was a safe idea, since it is usually the most-preferred Heisei Godzilla design.  Until I compared the sculpt with this photo (below), I thought NECA's figure was a bit bulky:
Also like the previous figure, this one has all kinds of articulation--even some that you really can't use very much because of the sculpt, or just because of Godzilla's basic shape (much like the  Pacific Rim figures).  You realize this mostly on the arms, which seem like they should move a lot more freely than they do.  The ability to close his hands is nice, though, and helps for posing.
I have read complaints about the tail (which comes unattached, like the last figure), and they are right, but before we look at that, I should point out that it now has some "rings" of articulation, just like the SH Monsterarts figures by Bandai...I thought this was very interesting.  The last third or so is still one segment (with a wire inside, also like before).
Also, this is just bizarre to me, but the feet have peg-holes.  I don't recall if the Legendary figure had them or not, and I haven't yet looked, but out of all the 6-7" figures you have, I'd venture to say that Godzilla has the least chance of falling over.  Don't get me wrong, my biggest complaint with ANY action figure company today is the lack of included stands, but I can't imagine ever, ever needing one for this figure.
As I just happened to own the 1994 Godzilla that Bandai made for their SH Monsterarts line, I thought a comparison was in order! 
First off, NECA's is obviously a bit taller, but considering this just made me notice what a strange lean the Bandai one has.  This looks completely right on my shelf, paired with my Heisei Mechagodzilla, because it looks like he is realistically reacting.  However, just standing still, it looks strange, and even causes his dorsal plates to be askew.  While NECA's head might be a bit too big, I think Bandai's is a little bit too squashed, but has better articulation than the newer figure.  NECA's blue-green for the claws and toes is a strange choice, as Bandai's extremities are more film-accurate.

I waited to discuss the tail, because this photo makes it all clear.  NECA's tail comes to a point, instead of the rounded end we are all familiar with, and that was a rookie mistake (Again, I haven't compared, but don't tell me they just re-used the tail end from the first figure...).  Also, Bandai's is quite a bit longer.
And you can have too much of a good thing, as posing the Bandai tail often leaves me with some overhang, and I have to creatively curl it to sit on my shelf correctly sometimes (mostly because the Children are always messing with it).  And look at the hips of each figure in the above photo.  For some reason, Bandai's figure has a bad case of "Dunlap's Disease," where NECA's blend more seamlessly.
I think the paint job is slightly better on the Bandai figure, but it may be because I prefer the dry-feeling plastic to NECA's shiny rubber-feeling figure.  That's not to imply that both of NECA's figures aren't sturdy or solid-feeling figures.  In fact, truth be told, I think they would better survive a fall than Bandai's, every time. Also, this is probably just personal preference, but I prefer the color of the dorsal plates on the NECA version.
 All in all, I think that NECA has launched an excellent series here, and it's certainly one I never thought we never see in America.  Not only will I be supporting it, but I'll be looking forward to the next two figures, which are GODZILLA 1985 and 1954, and should be nice indeed.
They are already light years ahead in price--I have a hard time ever telling what the actual retail price is on the SH Monsterarts figures, but they are never close to $20, so NECA is way ahead of the game there.  In fact, while I've had to be very choosy with my high-dollar Bandai purchases, and only have three, I will be buying all of the NECA ones.  I'd like to see them allowed to branch out with some of Godzilla's friends and foes, as well.

One thing that puzzles me though, is why the packaging uses the same image and color scheme as the Bandai Creation vinyl figures? Did Toho make them do that? It's odd:
Insert card (front)

Insert card (back)
Inlay 

No comments: