1/1/23

The GODZILLA Game in Ideal Catalogs (1963-65)

You hear that sound? It's the sound of Christmas falling down the stairs, because it's been pushed out of the way by New Year's, which is all anyone cares about today (meanwhile, the stores put out Fourth of July decorations).  But I digress, today we are going to look at how Ideal marketed the famous GODZILLA GAME, which is one of the top-tier most important vintage American Godzilla items...and it just also happens to be the first licensed retail American Godzilla item!

These catalogs we are going to look at were sent to retailers, so they weren't exactly meant for public consumption, like later toy catalogs were.  With that in mind, let's start in 1963:

You have my attention!

Note that by 1963, Godzilla was one of the "all-time greats," and let's face it, both games are due to GODZILLA vs. KING KONG.


Points for the Rocky & Bullwinkle game. Also, I feel sorry for the kid who got the "Whizzer Wheel" for Christmas, in the midst of all this coolness.

1964 shows us the immense success that Mouse Trap was (they sold like a billion).  It's the cover story:


So there you are, Christmas morning 1964. Opening what you know is the Godzilla board game, and you get.......The Nurses Game.



Bonus points for: Popeye, Rocky & Bullwinkle again, and Ricochet Rabbit, who I always will have a soft spot for.

Onward to 1965, where GODZILLA is still being offered:



They never even changed the description for the Godzilla game, because I guess it wasn't necessary.  But it is wacky! I'd recommend reading it; it's a hoot. Can you name Godzilla's "3 vulnerable areas"??? I thought you were a fan!

2 comments:

Tony said...

There was a time that I thought it would be cool to decorate a wall of my house with old boardgame boards. This makes me wish I actually did it.

Sampoerna Quatrain said...

That would be very cool to see. Of course collectibles (and shipping) are never as cheap as they were yesterday, but you could still look for incomplete games (unless you have an awesome thrift store in your area) to save some money.